Less Than Satisfied With Bbk Lt Header | goHEMI

Less Than Satisfied With Bbk Lt Header

Discussion in '5.7L HEMI Exhaust' started by nzmonsterman, Apr 17, 2015.

1. nzmonsterman

nzmonsterman New Member

My HEMI:
    Mopar 10 Challenger
    I have just added a set of BBK ceramic coated long tube headers and non cat mids to my Mopar 10.
    Exhaust note is a lot better, power increase is good as well as noticeable and it now has a H/F tune.
    The original exhaust set up is pathetic for a modern day car. They should be more like the SRT.

However!
    I had some issues with the headers and mid's so on a point score of 1-10 with 10 being amazing I would give them a 4 for overall quality, a 0 for customer satisfaction.

The headers are oval port and not D port as per the heads on my car.
    They say it makes no difference but... my opinion is port matched is always better.
    I also found the O2 sensors in the mids were right where the trans mount was. It was hopeless so I had a exhaust shop relocate them further forward so the sensors and cel eliminators would fit. (these are brilliant and I have had no error codes since the install and have not had to turn anything off).

BBK sent the wrong bolts for the headers so I had to go and purchase new ones from a hardware store. Not ideal as would have preferred the correct bolts and it meant delays and extra costs.
    The oil tube extender was also missing.(was promised that this would be sent out, (this was in January) and I still haven't received it.

Lastly the mid pipes were of two different lengths. One was approx 1 inch smaller. The result was instead of a bolt in I had to take it to the exhaust shop to get welded in place as the pipes was to short to apply the clamps.

I sent feedback and requests to BBK re all of this and basically got told, "we've never experienced this before. Its been passed on to tech". (Major fob off[​IMG])
    This is probably the worst thing in my whole experience. It was basically, go tell someone who cares, we don't believe you and won't help.
    If you won't stand behind your product, that's bad.
    I offered to send pics etc but that was the answer I got.

Never got the correct bolts nor a reimbursement for the additional $300 it cost me to get things fixed up.

So, they look good, do make a difference, however I would probably get a different brand if I was in the market again. Price wise is good but quality on my purchase was very poor in the areas mentioned. It should have been a easy bolt up and go.
    See Pics.
    Pic 1. Side view of trans mount and original oxygen sensor location (now plugged) and relocated sensor .
    Pic 2. Underneath view of the same.
    Pic 3. Side view of Mid's showing the difference in length. The exhaust had to be welded right near the edge of the shorter mid to get the connection and seal.
    Pic 4. Another view of the same.
    I haven't posted pic's of the incorrect bolts. They just look like bolts but wrong size (diameter). I can post these if people are interested.

I did the install with the help of a friend. It was a major PITA. But cheaper than getting a shop to do all the work. If you have the time and patience and tools you can do it your self. If not, spend the money and save the frustrations.

The car still drones a little when on MDS (did before anyway just a little more noticeable now) but over all its a good exhaust not. Its very loud when you put the foot down.
    Compared to stock its very loud, compared to old school modified V8 its average.

Would I do this mod again, definitely. I'd just use a different brand.

Hope that helps anybody in the market for headers.
    Please note, this is my experience, BBK say they have never had any complaints about their products from anyone else. 2015-04-07 15.11.26.jpg 2015-04-07 15.11.45.jpg 2015-04-07 15.12.44.jpg 2015-04-07 15.12.00.jpg

2. Killa

Killa New Member

My HEMI:
    2010 Challenger R/T
    Thanks for the review. I've bought two different BBK products for Mustangs and was very displeased as well (off road mid pipe and a throttle body) Both require modification to fit and the throttle body never worked right. So much for you get what you pay for too as I've bought cheaper products that were better quality.
    Your review confirms it for me though. I'll never buy a BBK product for my Challenger! Thanks