1. Welcome to GoHEMI.com, your HEMI Resource! Please register to view the entire site, and participate!

2009 Dodge Challenger Srt8 6-speed

Discussion in '6.1L HEMI Performance' started by Whitster, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Whitster

Whitster New Member

My HEMI:
    Dodge Challenger SRT
    Hello Fellow Enthusiasts!! I purchased my Hemi Orange 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6-Speed, a month ago. I already have a Barton Industries Pistol Grip Shifter on order for it. Silver Vein (Textured Surface) Pistol Grip, with "Header Orange" BARTON Lettering. Very Nicely Made, Right Here In The USA!! Here is what I'm currently wondering about: My car runs Great!! However, I have a hard time believing that it puts out Anywhere Near the claimed rated horsepower of 425. I have a 1996 Camaro Z-28 (LT-1 6-Speed), which was factory rated at 285 horsepower. I'm pretty sure that my Camaro will probably stay right with (or Very Close To) my Challenger. I have no current trouble codes, or lights triggered. I was expecting a Much Bigger Difference in Overall Power, with this Challenger SRT8. Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE THIS CAR!! But, I'm thinking that this engine is somehow "Hiding" some horsepower, which should be getting to the tires. I thought about checking the spark plugs, but the owner's manual recommends that at 102,000 miles. My car currently has 77,000 miles on it. I would think that if the plugs had issues, then I would get a "Mis-Fire" code, Trouble Light, etc. Is the factory horsepower rating of 425 on this 6.1 Hemi really that "Optimistic", or should I be searching for something here??

2. jkelly16

jkelly16 Driving the Dream! Moderator

My HEMI:
    '09 Challenger R/T
    You're probably looking at around 350 or so at the rear wheels. These cars have adaptive learning so it learns and makes changes based on how it's driven. The manuals are not as bad as the autos with this but it still happens. I would pull fuse #2 (fuse box under the hood) for 30 seconds (make sure the car is turned off) and that will reset any adaptives the car has learned. The other thing you are fighting is the weight of these cars, 4000+ lbs.